Friday, August 9, 2013

{Wine Wednesday!} Napa Nostalgia: Caymus Vineyards



Well it’s not Wine Wednesday but since it’s always #WW in our house, it makes no difference that this post comes on a Friday.  I’m two weeks away from my next trip to Napa and I couldn’t be giddier.  I actually already separated my outfits in my closet so that they are ready to pack!  I’m getting so excited and thinking about our last visit makes the wait even more exciting. 

The detail of a glass per wine taste was once pretty standard and was less popular this last visit.  I'm glad Caymus still does this
On our December 2012 visit, my hands-down favorite experience was a tasting with Caymus Vineyards.  I booked an appointment a couple of months before we visited, so they accommodated our family of 7 and a baby at the tasting table that is in a room just a step away from the  general tasting table (the tasting bar or table was new, and I’m not sure if it’s permanent.  My 2009 visit only had sit-down tastings available).  Anyway, what a host we had and what a selection we were offered!  We not only got to sample the best of Caymus but really the best of the Wagner Family wines.  We started with Conundrum white wine and then went on to one of my favorite white wine tastings yet – the Mer Soleil Silver Chardonnay.  I’ve been buying this bottle to enjoy during the summer months.  On to the Caymus wines – we tasted the Zinfandel, the Cabernet Sauvignon and the Special Selection Cabernet Sauvignon.  OMG.  AMAZING!  Somehow we lost my father during the tasting and we found him later with wines both in hand and on order for delivery.  I think he was one happy birthday boy!


The Three Good Grapes being silly
The Wager Family has a great reputation for winemaking in Napa and the tasting proved that, but the quality and pure FUN of our visit is what marks this one of the most memorable wine experiences I’ve ever encountered.  Our tasting was offered by a wine educator and Master Sommelier and above all, he was just generally awesome.  After our tasting we went back to the wine store and found my dad and got to try a bonus tasting of another new favorite, the Belle Glos Pinot noir, a Clark and Telephone wine also founded by the Wagner Family.  They were offering tastings in the back area where they happen to display the largest bottle of Cabernet in the world.  True story – turns out Mr. Wagner has a sense of humor with that great wine-making sense.  When he saw the previous largest bottle of cab in the world, he decided HE wanted to have the largest bottle.  So he just made one.  Just like that! Oh to be invited to the party where THAT bottle gets opened!  

The Good Grape Family with the famous bottle ;)

 
My souvenirs, the WS review of Belle Glos and my Caymus and steak 2013 bday dinner

All photos are my own


If you come to Napa, come here.  Even if you already know the wines.  You’ll be glad you stopped by. 


Caymus Vineyards

8700 Conn Creek Road

Rutherford, CA 94573



Note: Tasting fee is $30 and appointments are required, according to the website. The Belle Glos Pinot Noir was not on the tasting menu but was offered as a bonus at the time we visited.  It was also a Top 100 wines on the 2012 Wine Spectator review.  

Cheers!
Ana 

No comments:

Post a Comment