Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Taco Tuesday: Fish Tacos



It’s Taco Tuesday, good grapes!  Don’t worry, we won’t have tacos as our main recipes forever, but we’ve been on such a kick lately that I wanted to share our latest homemade creation.  I saw tilapia filets on super sale at the grocery as well avocados for $1.00/each, so my mind told me to make simple fish tacos for dinner.   Can it get any easier than that?  Here’s what we did:

image: my own

Ingredients:

1 bag red cabbage, shredded

1 avocado

1 bunch cilantro

2 limes

1 red bell pepper

1 red chile pepper (or jalapeno, or Serrano, or your favorite pepper)

1 pound tilapia filet

1 bag corn tortillas

½ tsp. corn oil (substitute oil you have at home if you don’t have corn oil)

Pinch salt

Pinch pepper

½ tsp Adobo seasoning (I use the salt free kind)



First I patted the filets dry, then lightly drizzled them in corn oil – PS – I use corn oil on any recipe that will be eaten with corn tortillas – then I mixed up my seasonings and seasoned the fish.  I put them in the broiler on low heat and just watched them until they were done, about 10 minutes, turning them once half way. 



In the mean time I put 4 tortillas in the oven and let them broil directly on the oven rack for a few minutes on each side until they were JUST starting to crisp up.  You want them crisp but still flexible enough to fold.



Then I pulled a handful of cilantro leaves, removed the stems and chopped up the leaves along with half of the red bell pepper.  I put the cilantro and red bell pepper in a small bowl and added the red cabbage until it looked pretty balanced.  I added the juice of one lime and mixed everything up (you can add a pinch of salt and/or pepper here too).

 

By now the tortillas are ready and so are the filets, so I took two tortillas and filled them with the cabbage mix, I halved each filet and put one half in each tortilla, then garnished the plate with more cilantro and a couple of slivers of red chile, for heat.  I took ingredients I had on hand (Greek yogurt, mayo, Sriracha sauce and honey) and mixed up a tiny bit of sauce to go with the tacos, but you totally don’t need this unless you want extra ‘tang.’  Mexican crema would have worked fine too.  


Salsa and guacamole recipes here



To these, add a few extra garnishes, such as avocado or queso fresco (I used leftover guacamole and salsa with these tacos) and sprinkle with lime.  That’s it.  These tacos were so easy to make, super tasty and definitely restaurant grade.  My hubs likes everything I make, but he liked these so much he started thinking of special names for them.  Cute, no?  Let us know if you love these as much as we did!

Pair with a fresh vinho verde if you're enjoying outside for lunch or a crisp and fruity Sauvignon Blanc for later in the day.

Cheers!
Ana 

No comments:

Post a Comment