Thursday, October 27, 2011

{Thrifty Thursday} A Black Bombay Chest

I am so smitten by the the glossy black "Bombay" chests invading upscale home interior stores lately.  I think the look and shape are timeless and flirty and perfect for the home.  Tired of saving money for expensive things, I once again stalked my HomeGoods until I found the right piece, even if I had to sand it down and paint it myself.  Luckily I found a dull pearly painted dresser with overly girly crystal knobs (no hubby would have agreed to bring this into his home!) and gave myself a weekend project of bringing it up to my standards.  The final touch was purchasing these knobs in black at my World Market (2/$4.99) and if I may say so myself, I think I have a pretty sophisticated piece now flanking my entryway. 

Inspiration:

Left, Avery Bombe Chest, $799+shipping, Crate and Barrel; Right, Lacquered Bombay Chest, $1049+shipping, Horchow
 My Find:
Chest, $199, HomeGoods; Black Glossy Paint in Tricorn Black, ~$30 after 40% discount
And the finished product:

New entryway decor: Chest, rug, vignette, and a hand-me-down framed print of Picasso's "Portrait de Jaccqueline"

Closeup of knobs and vignette (gold lacquered tray was a wedding shower gift; books, amazon.com; brass bowl, horse, and chalice were thrift store finds)
I love when luxe comes cheap!

Cheers!
Ana

1 comment: