Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Yogurt Parfait Pancakes

I have to admit, while I've been feeling generally fantastic throughout this pregnancy, my creativity has diminished almost completely.  The house is in disarray (so not like me!), I can't seem to make the nursery look anything but cluttered, and when it comes time to cook dinner, I'm at a total loss.  I usually like trying something new every night and lately, I can't even whip up old favorites.  My whining aside, I've surprisingly been cooking delicious new brunch recipes (last week's French Toast was just one of them).  

I'm on a pancake kick and you already know how obsessed I am with all pancakes (pumpkin, lemon-ricotta, and just about all other varieties).  Well, this weekend I came up with a new pancake recipe - the yogurt parfait pancake.  I looked through all of my pancake recipes and adapted a basic recipe to incorporate some Greek yogurt since I had some on hand.  The result was Heavenly!  I had to share.

Yogurt Parfait Pancakes.  All photos, my own

Ingredients:
1 cup flour*
1 tbsp sugar*
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup Greek yogurt
2 eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tbsp melted butter*
4-5 tbsp milk*
Granola crumbles
Fresh strawberries
Whipped cream

*My suggestions: I wanted to vary the flour, so I used 1/2 c. all purpose, 1/4 cup whole wheat, and 1/4 cup cornmeal for texture, although if you do half and half white:wheat flour you'll also get plenty of texture; I used 1/2 granulated and 1/2 light brown sugar; I used melted Crisco shortening.  I find it makes the fluffiest pancake.  Canola oil and butter are excellent to use as well; I used organic fat free, and it worked well.  I want to try buttermilk next time

Preparation:

Heat griddle iron on medium heat.  Heat oven to 250 degrees.

Mix dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.  Add yogurt, eggs, vanilla extract and butter.  Mix well.  Add milk, one tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency.  

flour variety and Chobani Greek nonfat yogurt, vanilla flavor
Mixing flours and sugars for a better-for-you pancake
Spray griddle with cooking spray or melt butter over griddle.  Pour batter onto heated griddle iron, about 1/4 cup per pancake.  Add granola crumbles to raw pancakes.  When they start to bubble, flip.  Let pancakes cook through before removing from the griddle.  Place cooked pancakes on cookie sheet at keep in preheated oven while you cook the second batch.  

granola goes on the batter
 Top with whipped cream and strawberries.  Serve with pure maple syrup.

 Makes 6 large, fluffy pancakes.

Enjoy!

Cheers!
Ana

No comments:

Post a Comment