Friday, May 10, 2013

{DIY} Chalk Board Server

This is perhaps the easiest DIY I've ever done.  I'm pretty busy, and it took me about 10 minutes to complete, including drying time.  

I got the inspiration from our mother, who has been quite the little DIY-er in her retirement.  Our family recently hosted an engagement party for dear friends, and my mom thought to make a chalk board serving tray the length of the entire outdoor table.  It was beautiful, and much more impressive than mine.  I wish I had pics. 

Anyway, I totally ripped off her idea and made the project myself, with cheaper material.  You will need: 1) Ready-to-install shelves (available from any hardware store) 2) chalk board paint (I used Rustoleum brand) 3) cabinet door pulls 4) Chalk.  Make sure the shelves you buy are already primed.  This makes the project very easy.

Give each board 2-3 coats of paint.  The paint dries so quickly.  Each board was ready by the time I gave the other a coat.  I kept alternating them until all coats were on.  Drill door pulls onto painted shelves and you are done!






Total Cost:
Small Shelf               $ 5.98
Large Shelf               $ 7.98
Paint                         $15.00
4 Pulls ($1.29 ea.)    $ 5.16
Trim Kit                    $ 5.97
                                 $40.09

The boards serve multiple purposes and take up very little storage.  Has anyone completed any fun DIY projects lately?

Cheers!
Ana

No comments:

Post a Comment