Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Berry Delicious Bread Pudding

My dear friend M and her husband, who traveled with us to Kentucky in the Spring, hosted a fantastic bourbon-themed Southern BBQ party at their home.  I thought I'd use this party as an excuse to finally learn how to make bread pudding- a dessert I've loved since the first time I tried it, but one I don't enjoy often because, well, I rarely seek out Southern food and haven't ever baked it at home.  That changed Sunday!  

The recipe was from a new favorite cookbook, 1001 Ways to Cook Southern, a publication of Southern Living magazine and a Christmas gift from my MIL.  One needs occasions for these recipes- they are far too delicious not to share!  So one down and 1000 recipes to go!    A quick browse during a January visit convinced Jackie she had to buy one for herself!  Can you imagine the collection in this thing? 

Anyway, back to the recipe.  It was simple to make, but I'd save a good slot of time for this- I was in the kitchen nearly three hours with this recipe (there is some down time during the baking, but you should keep your eye on it).  The result?  So amazing, I didn't get to snap a photo before it was devoured by our friends!  A new favorite, for sure.  

French bread with fruit in the baking dish and pudding mixture ready to whisk

Bread Pudding Ingredients:

1 (16-ounce) French bread loaf, cubed

1 cup frozen raspberries (do not thaw)

1 cup frozen blackberries (do not thaw)

4 large eggs, lightly beaten

2 3/4 cups milk

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup butter, melted

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 tablespoons melted butter

2 tablespoons sugar

Cooking Instructions:

Arrange half of bread pieces in a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Arrange frozen berries in a single layer over bread. Top with remaining bread pieces.

Whisk eggs and next 6 ingredients until smooth. Slowly pour egg mixture over bread, pressing down with a wooden spoon until bread absorbs mixture. Let stand 20 minutes.

Bake, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover, brush evenly with 2 tablespoons melted butter; sprinkle evenly with 2 tablespoons sugar, and bake 30 more minutes or until set. Remove from oven, and let stand 30 minutes. Serve with Vanilla Cream Sauce. Garnish, if desired.

Vanilla Cream Sauce Ingredients:
2 cups whipping cream
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cooking Instructions:
Stir first 3 ingredients together in a saucepan. Add butter, and cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until butter is melted and mixture begins to boil. Cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla. Serve warm.

My modifications: Since fruit is in season, I purchased fresh fruit and froze it for a couple of hours before I started baking.  I also added a tablespoon of bourbon (Maker's Mark) to the vanilla sauce once I removed it from the heat.  The addition of bourbon was perfect and fit with the party's theme!

Cheers!
Ana

2 comments:

  1. I barely even cook, and yet just bought this book. Hopefully I will be further inspired by recipes that sound too delicious NOT to try! Thanks for letting me know books like this even exist. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let us know what your favorites are! We'd love to blog about them! Enjoy cooking! xo

    Cheers!
    Cristi

    ReplyDelete