Sunday, November 20, 2011

Thanksgiving Entertaining: Setting the Table

When entertaining, I always set the table before I do any prep work or cooking.  Because food preparation can be exhausting, I've learned that waiting to set the table until just before dinner is served means my overlooking minor details and rushing the job.  The table setting should set the mood for the dinner you will enjoy.  My thoughts on the table scape is that is should reflect the work you've put into cooking your meal.  My New Year's resolution this year was to use my formal china more often, and so because of that, I've decided to set a formal table, minus the excess of silverware and multiple stemware per person at the table.  

So the first thing you will want to do is decide for yourself what kind of table you'll set.  We've found some inspirational table settings online to help guide your choice:

A harvest themed table with casual china and flatware, and occasional stemware, Pinterest

A casual table setting, hgtv.com

A formal table setting, Pinterest
Here is what I like to have at my table, regardless of whether it's casually or formally set:
  • fresh flowers
  • placemats
  • charger plates (find the ones I've used below, $12/set of 4, here)
  • dinner plates
  • salad plates
  • iced beverage glasses
  • wine glasses
  • silverware
This year, wishing to incorporate my formal china and monogrammed wedding napkins, I decided to go with a platinum and gold table theme.  

Our Thanksgiving table setting

Fresh flowers will be added come Tuesday!
Cheers!
Ana

No comments:

Post a Comment