Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Feed the Craving, Lose the Fat!

It's kind of  new tradition to join my workout buddies for dinner and margaritas at the Mexican restaurant next to the gym.  Effective, I know.  But worth it every time!  So since today wasn't one of our once-a-month party nights, I decided to cook a Mexican dinner for my husband at home.  I've had this recipe for a Quick Taco Salad in my online file for at least a year and realized I've been totally missing out!  This recipe takes little time, tastes amaizng and makes for easy clean up! Enjoy!

Modifications:
I used ground turkey
I mixed all of the greens (onions, cilantro and lettuce) together and kept the mixture seperate from the turkey/salsa/red bell pepper mixture
Made my own tortilla chips out of low carb corn tortillas (simply drizzle a teeny amount of vegetable oil over 4 tortillas and place on skillet or griddle until crispy)
I served the meat mixture over the greens mixture and topped with a sprinkle of reduced fat cheddar and added a dallop of Dannon plain non fat Greek yogurt (sour cream substitute)

Quick Taco Salad
Ingredients:

Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner, via http://www.myrecipes.com/
  • 12 ounces ground round
  • 2 cups chopped yellow, red, or green bell pepper
  • 2 cups bottled salsa
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 4 cups coarsely chopped romaine lettuce
  • 2 cups chopped plum tomato
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup crumbled baked tortilla chips (about 12 chips)
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions
Directions:
  • Cook beef and bell pepper in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until beef is browned; stir to crumble. Add salsa; bring to a boil. Stir in cilantro; keep warm.
  • Place 1 cup lettuce on each of 4 plates; top with 1 cup meat mixture. Sprinkle each serving with 1/2 cup tomato, 1/4 cup cheese, 1/4 cup chips, and 1 tablespoon onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment