Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Sweet and Spicy Pork

Have you ever been parked in a grocery store lot with the intention of shopping for dinner ingredients and no idea what to cook?  This happened to me last week and I was able to pull up a quick and easy recipe with a simple search and my own tweaks.  The result?  Pretty good for a last-minute, calorie-conscious throw together.  


Sweet and Spicy Pork

Ingredients
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon minced bottled ginger
1 clove minced garlic
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 1 pound pork tenderloin, cut crosswire
1/3 cup bottled salsa (we usually have fresh homemade salsa in the fridge, so I used that)
1 tablespoon raspberry preserves
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro

Preparation
1.  Combine first three ingredients in bowl*
2.  Heat oil on medium high heat.  Flatten each piece of pork to 1/2 inch thickness (you can do this simply with your hands).  Add pork to pan, spoon soy sauce mixture over pork slices.  Cook 3 minutes per side, or until done.**
3.  Remove pork from pan.  Add salsa and preserves.  Cook 30 seconds or until thick.  Pour onto pork.  
4.  Sprinkle with cilantro***

My tweaks:
* I added a tablespoon of chopped green onions, both green and white parts
** After spooning the soy sauce mixture onto the pork, I added about 1/3 cup bottled mandarin orange slices.
*** I served the pork on a bed of brown rice and chopped extra cilantro and ginger to mix into the rice.  The ginger went in immediately and the cilantro was added half way through cooking the rice.

Cheers!
Ana

No comments:

Post a Comment