Thursday, July 21, 2011

{Thrifty Thursday} Home Improvement Edition

I have, for a long time, envisioned a chandelier in my makeshift dining room.  That part of the room is not lit and every formal dining room needs proper lighting.   A while back, I was told by an electrician it couldn't be done (or that it would inconvenience me way too much).  My contract crew worked on that over the weekend - in a matter of hours- and rewired the room to allow for a chandelier.

I had wrought iron sconces installed over the fireplace when we moved in because I thought the aging eye-ball recessed lights that came with the house  were not formal enough for the living room.  I knew I wanted a chandelier to coordinate with those sconces and I fell in love with the fixture in this picture posted by House of Turquoise.  It was the simplicity and the outstretched arms that really drew me to this piece. 

Photo: House of Turquoise
The first one I found at Restoration Hardware was beautiful, but at $795.00, the price was completely out of the question.   

Alexandria Chandelier, $795, Restoration Hardware
I went to Ballard Designs to look for a similar fixture.  I actually think Ballard Designs has very fair priced items when you compare them to other French inspired interior retailers.  But even on sale for $200, it looked too complicated for what I wanted to achieve and so, I labeled it out of my price range. 

Ballard Designs, Sale for $199.99 from $279.00
I then took my budget to Overstock and found JUST the right piece for the small space.  And For $78.99 with $2.95 shipping?  I was sold.  What's even better is that I can buy shades to match the sconces (also SUPER thrifty) and tie all the area's lighting together!  Thrift always wins me over!

French Clarisas 6-light chandelier, overstock.com

Think it will look good over my dining room set?  

Before: we depended on a floor lamp to light the dining room.  Right: You can see the wiring we put in the room.
We shall see!
Cheers!
Ana

PS - Did my recent paint job inspire you to paint a room in your house?  If so, go to Sherwin Williams between July 22 and 24 and receive 40% off all paints and stains! Gotta love a gret sale!  Happy Painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment